Thesis binding for the University of Manchester
Our softback (channel) and hardback binding is fully compliant with the University of Manchester regulations for the binding of theses.
Initial submission - pre Viva
For the initial submission of your thesis, the University will accept either hardback or softback binding. The vast majority of students choose softback channel binding as the cost is significantly lower, especially if corrections may be required, and it is faster.
Channel binding is very quick, clean and easy; 2 or 3 lettered theses can be produced in less than 10 minutes. It can be easily unbound (by us using the correct equipment) to allow re-use of the pages for hardback binding. Lettering on the spine is compulsory and the cost is £9.00 per copy, inclusive of lettering.
Metal Channel binding has a black spine with a choice of covers and is suitable for up to 300 sheets. (The number of sheets quoted is for standard 80gsm paper and is approximate.)
Note that if you print your thesis on thicker paper then this may take it over the 300 sheet equivalent limit for channel binding so please take this into consideration. The University regulations do allow multiple volumes and double sided printed; please check with your supervisor or Graduate School office for their recommendation.
Final submission - post Viva, after corrections
The final version of your thesis must be submitted in hardback format, with a plain cloth (Buckram) cover. We offer a Hardback Channel Buckram binding (accepted by the University of Manchester). This takes 24 hours. These can also be produced the same day (subject to workload).
Prices currently start at £29.50 per copy. The surcharge for the express service is £9.00 per copy. More information is on our hardback binding page.
We can also offer Traditional Hard binding. You should normally allow two to three days for this. It can be done faster subject to a surcharge. An express service: providing the complete printed thesis is with us by 2.00pm, may be available, meaning your work will be returned on the afternoon of the next working day (normally around 3.30pm).
Prices currently start at £29.50 per copy. The surcharge for the express service is £12.00 per copy. More information is on our hardback binding page.
If you need same-day traditional hardback thesis binding then the only place locally that can do this is T Walker & Co at the University of Salford. This will cost significantly more than the normal service; contact them on (0161) 295 5216 for details, remembering to tell them you are at the University of Manchester and require only lettering on the spine.
The spine for both softback and hardback binding must be lettered in the following format:
Degree YOUR NAME Year
PhD JOHN A SMITH 2018
If you want us to print or copy your work, you must also allow time for us to do it. It is impossible to say how long this will take, only that it will get busier as we approach a deadline. Please see our pricelists for colour and mono (black) printing.
If you're not in Manchester
If you are away from Manchester and are unable to return to submit your thesis, you may find it difficult finding someone locally to channel bind your work. If this is the case, then you can send your work to us on the following basis:
- We recommend that you print all copies of your thesis rather than send an electronic copy for us to print. The reason for this is that we will not necessarily be able to tell if there is problem with the printout and you will not be able to check it before it is bound and submitted.
Our postal address is on the Contact page.
- If you choose to send a file electronically, then a PDF is usually the most reliable format. Information on sending files to us is on the Send Files page. If you are not able to check the printing prior to binding then we will only accept the job on the basis that you accept full responsibility for the printing. We are only able to give documents a cursory check for print problems, for example.
- Our preferred payment method is by debit or credit card, alternatively postal order. If you send a cheque, we have to wait for it to clear before releasing your work.
If paying by card, please ensure that you tell us:
- Name of the cardholder
- Type of card
- Long card number (across the middle of the card)
- Expiry date
- If Maestro (Switch) or Solo: issue number or start date
- CVV2 security code - the last 3 digits printed on the signature strip
- We are not normally able to make personal deliveries. If you would like your thesis sending in the internal post to your department, please ensure you tell us:
- Who it is to be sent to
- Room number & building
Please be aware that we cannot be held responsible for any loss or delay once we have put your work into the internal post system. Alternatively, you can arrange for a friend or colleague to collect on your behalf but please inform us beforehand. Theses can also be returned to you by post at additional cost (by prior arrangement only - not always possible).
- For a guide to how long this process will take, consider this:
- You post it to us from within the UK, first class on day 1
- We receive it on day 2 and bind the same day
- It is collected by the Internal Post service on day 3
- Your thesis is delivered to your department on day 4
If you require hardback binding, this will add two-three days to the above process.